IT’S NOT JUST THE COMPETITOR WHO NEEDS TO BE PREPARED FOR RACE DAY!
While competitors are laying out the race kit and talking through race strategies, you need to get bags packed and yourself organised ready for an early start and possibly a long day by the side of the race course.
Here are my race day essentials for an Ironman Triathlon, including the extras if you have kids in to. Shorter races, you may not need as much but you still need to be just as organised and ready for sun, wind or rain!
- Portable phone charger – this is my top priority as my phone always runs out!
- Camera or two – you may be requested to video and photograph ( not easy!) Don’t forget to charge and have extra disk or storage. These days your phone may do the job but a special race may require the extra equipment if you have the sills!
- Watch – you may be required to watch times so a wrist watch or stop watch is useful (suggest this isn’t your phone in case the charge runs out or you are using it for photos too – on the wrist is easier)
- Small pad and pen – you may also be required to keep track of the times, or write down expected times so you can calculate when to be expected at each viewing location. These days mobile phone do the job as long as the charge doesn’t run out (so have back up)
- Drink Bottle
- Course Map
- Poncho and/or umbrella
- Small binoculars (maybe not needed it you have super duper SLR camera)
FOR THE KIDS
- Fly/mosquito spray (depending on location of race)
- Snacks and drinks. Reusable water bottle means you can top up on the go.
- Warm jackets and beanies (for early morning) and rain gear just in case!
- Entertainment – whatever you can carry around (books, pencils and paper, ball) If you are travelling pop into local shops and grab some cheap fun things like poms poms, bubbles and chalk – entertains for a little while at least!
- Swimsuits and towel if race is near beach and it’s hot enough for a dip.
IF YOU ARE IN A CAR & SETTING UP BASE FOR THE DAY
- Torch for early morning
- Esky with cold drinks
- Fold up chairs
- Rug (ideally with plastic base)
- Sun umbrella/tent
Have we forgotten anything? Share in the comments below